I am a Couple and Family Psychotherapist with over 20 years experience of counselling couples and families. I am currently only able to offer Couple therapy sessions online.
I can help couples and families to foster more fulfilling relationship by enabling them: -
• to do less of what is unhelpful and more of what is helpful in how they interact with each other
• learn skills in effective communication
• find ways of navigating their conflicts and dilemmas.
I provide a safe, non-blaming and non-judgemental space for couples and families to work through their problems and dilemmas.
When it comes to making important decisions, such as a couple deciding whether to stay together or separate, I have no agenda other than to be as useful as I can be in enabling my clients to better understand themselves, their situation, and their possibilities. This provides clients with insight and a guide for making their own important decisions.
I have expertise in helping heterosexual and LGBT couples who are experiencing: -
• Ongoing and unresolved conflicts
• Difficulties in communication
• Impact of one partner suffering from depression/other mental health issues
• Considering separation and/or divorce
• Issues around anger, abuse and/or violence in the relationship
• Challenges of having different backgrounds/cultures
• Sexual tensions/difficulties
• Understanding and moving on from infidelity
• Demands of new baby/extended family/step-children on the couple relationship
I have expertise in helping families who are experiencing: -
• Challenging, worrying and/or upsetting behaviour of a child/teenager
• Coping with new and unsettling circumstances
• Becoming a step-family
• Living with the impact of separation and/or divorce
• Impact of relocation to a new country or area of the UK.
Alongside my private practice I have worked for the NHS in adult mental health services and have many years of experience in working with couples and families where a partner or family member has experienced or is experiencing mental health difficulties such as depression or psychosis.
Like all UKCP registered psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors I can work with a wide range of issues, but here are some areas in which I have a special interest or additional experience.