Find our latest news and guidance surrounding the COVID-19 crisis here.

Skip Content

About our register

Professional Standards Authority LogoWe hold a national register of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Only therapists who meet our exacting standards and training requirements can be on our register.

This is a voluntary register which is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.

Every therapist on our register is accredited by one of our member organisations and agrees to adhere to:

To find out if a therapist is registered with UKCP, you can search our UKCP register.


Practitioners undergo a four-year, postgraduate, in-depth and experiential training in how to work with a variety of people with a wide range of emotional distress, mental health issues and difficulties. Psychotherapists are trained in one or more psychotherapy approaches. You can read more about the different philosophies of psychotherapy on our UKCP college pages.

Psychotherapeutic counsellors

Practitioners on this register are counsellors who have trained to a UKCP recognised standard (normally graduate level or equivalent) and are competent to practice to the highest standards of counselling.

Psychotherapy with children and young people

Psychotherapy with children, young people and their families is not the same as psychotherapy with adults. UKCP therapists with specific skills, training and experience to work with children and families are included on a specialist register. There are two titles on this specialist register:

  • child psychotherapist – practitioners with this title have completed a full child training or post qualifying diploma in child psychotherapy
  • family psychotherapist – practitioners on this register are members of our College of Family, Couple and Systemic Therapy.

The child and young person proficiency marker

UKCP recognises that there are some registrants who have trained to work primarily with adult clients, but who have also worked with children or adolescents. We created the Child and Adolescent Proficiency Marker as an indicator that they meet minimum proficiencies to work with clients under the age of 18.

What is the difference between the specialist register for children and young people and the proficiency marker?

Therapists on the specialist register have either completed an approved specialist training course, or applied for accreditation onto the specialist register. The proficiency marker is for therapists who usually work with adults and occasionally work with children and young people. It shows that they have met a minimum standard of proficiency in relation to therapeutic work with children and young people.

Are all therapists on the UKCP register?

Therapists do not have to register with UKCP or any other organisation, which means that anyone can call themselves a psychotherapist. Choosing a therapist who is UKCP-registered gives you reassurance about their training and qualifications. It means they have agreed to follow ethical codes and standards and to undertake ongoing training and development.

Some of our members may also be registered with statutory bodies such as the General Medical Council (GMC) or Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

If a therapist is not on our register it may be because:

  • they have not applied to be on our register
  • we have removed them from our register (check our Complaints Decisions page for more information).

A core element of our service to the public is dealing with concerns and complaints about therapists on our register. We publish decisions arising from complaints cases and information about forthcoming hearings.

Our register is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.

Let us know what you think about UKCP’s registers

Your views are important to us. If you have any comments or suggestions about our register, please let us know.

Looking for therapy?

If you are looking for therapy, you may wish to consult our Find a Therapist to search for a therapist near to you. Our Find a Therapist directory lists members on our register who are open to new clients.

If you’re looking for a therapist, you might want to read more about how to find a therapist or what psychotherapy is.