Volunteers are the heart of our organisation. Most of our work is driven forward by our members and lay volunteers who give their time to support us in various roles such as serving on our Board of Trustees, colleges, faculties, committees or our Members Forum.
Supporting us through volunteering is the most powerful and practical way of making a difference to the psychotherapy profession and our organisation.
Becoming a volunteer provides you with excellent opportunities to:
- network and collaborate with like-minded professionals
- work within a well-established professional body
- boost your career by developing professionally, learning new transferrable skills and adding to your CPD
- make a personal and lasting improvement to psychotherapy at a national level, perhaps in an area that has long been important to you. If you feel that there is an aspect of national professional life that deserves more attention, why not step forward and bring about change?
- help us make positive change to the profession.
Types of volunteer roles
Our volunteer roles vary and there are many opportunities for both registered members and lay people to get involved.
As a UKCP member, you will be representing your colleagues and the profession at large, keeping our work anchored in the reality of the profession by bringing in the practitioner’s perspective.
We also have opportunities for lay people/professionals who bring objectivity to our work through independent perspectives. (By lay we mean people who are not UKCP members or employees, and not from a psychological profession.)’
As a volunteer you can make a difference to the profession by:
- developing and maintaining standards of excellence
- setting out principles and guidance on ethical issues
- reviewing and accrediting members
- organising conferences and other professional events
- writing and publishing materials to inform and support professional practice
- reviewing developments inside and outside the profession and writing about their. relevance for psychotherapy.
For more information on our volunteer groups and their work take a look at our structure.
How to get involved
To create positive change in the psychotherapy profession, we need you, your passion, skills, and expertise. There are many ways in which you can support us including project-based shot-term volunteering, as well as longer-term committee appointments.
If you cannot find the right role, contact us at email@example.com. We will do our best to find a volunteering opportunity that suits your skills and experience.